The 3 Most Commonly Asked Questions About OluKai
You Asked. We Have The Answers.
1. How do you pronounce OluKai?
We get this one a lot, so let’s break it down: Olu (oh-loo), Kai (k-eye). OluKai (oh-loo-k-eye). See! Easy as an island breeze.
2. What does OluKai mean in Hawaiian?
Our name, Olu (comfort) Kai (ocean), is Hawaiian. It's in and around the ocean that we feel most at home, and in Hawai‘i that we feel most inspired. That's why we create footwear that combines comfort and craftsmanship with the ocean lifestyle. Our hope is that when you slip into a pair of OluKai, you feel connected with the spirit of aloha.
3. Is OluKai a good brand?
We try our best! Itʻs our belief that business can, and should, be a force for good. And while thereʻs always room for growth, weʻre proud of our current initiatives. Hereʻs what weʻre doing:
To start, we’re a Certified B-Corporation. That means we meet the higher standards of social and environmental performance and accountability. Our heritage of good work stems from Hawai‘i’s cultural value system. Since inception, we have consciously guided our business practices with the ideas of Mālama (to care, serve, honor) and Island sustainability.
Our goal is to make the most impact in the following areas:
- Community: We are assessed on our relationship with local communities, which includes community service and charitable giving, diversity, and relationships with our business partners.
- Environment: We are evaluated on our environmental performance through energy usage, facilities (including manufacturing), materials, and other resources.
- Workforce: We are measured on our organization’s relationship with its workforce, which includes company culture, compensation, employee benefits, training, and work environment.
Hereʻs even more info on our B-Corp commitment.
Ama OluKai Foundation
We founded the Ama OluKai Foundation in 2014 as a way to honor those who preserve and celebrate the cultural heritage and Aloha spirit of Hawai‘i. As such, a portion of all OluKai proceeds directly supports it.
The Foundation also partners with other committed and progressive organizations to preserve land and ocean, serve our communities, and maintain Hawaiian culture and traditions. You can learn more about the Ama OluKai Foundation here.
The Conservation Alliance
As a member of The Conservation Alliance, OluKai partners with others around a common purpose to protect wild places for their habitat and recreation values. We serve as a catalyst and direct our collective nature to seek out grassroots conservation plans.